Captain O’Sullivan was granted 2,340 acres which included not only the island that bears his name, but in addition the property that was to eventually become Mount Pleasant. On the earliest map of this time that this area had been called”North Point.”
In 1696 fiftyone new settlers arrived. Each family has been allocated a couple hundred acres within the region which became known as Christ Church parish.
The area of”Abcaw” was Hobcaw Plantation, located between Shem Creek and the Wando River. Laterit was known as shipyard Plantation because its heavy water and also abundance of very good timber made it ideal for a prosperous shipbuilding enterprise. Lands adjacent to Hobcaw Point were owned at various times by several different families, many of which maintained ferries which served Mount Pleasant.
Back in 1770 Andrew Hibben obtained a ferry charter and bought property from Jacob Motte over the south side of Shem Creek. Hibben’s ferry was the first ever to connect Haddrell’s Point with the city of Charleston.
Mount Pleasant played a leading part in the first major military participation — and success — of the Revolutionary War. When Charleston finally fell to the British on November 12, 1775 Cornwallis crossed the Cooper River together with 2,500 troops and took ownership of Haddrell’s Point. The British headquarters has been claimed to have been the home of Jacob Motte, later called Hibben House.
The very first smaller settlement to be a village has been Greenwich. It had been adjacent to Jacob Motte’s”Mount Pleasant” property and was the home storyline of 100 acres owned by Jonathon Scott. James Hibben (son of Andrew Hibben), who owned the royal property next to Motte’s, purchased”Mount Pleasant” in 1803 and divided it into 35 large loads. On December 20, 1837 the village of Greenwich had been merged with Mount Pleasant and integrated by an act of the Assembly. In 1858 the limits of town were stretched to adopt Hilliardsville, a region acquired in 1847 from Charles Jugnot and Oliver Hilliard for a picnic ground. Lucasville, a payoff on Shem Creek, was merged with Mount Pleasant from 1872.
On September 2-4, 1860 a public meeting was held in Mount Pleasant which made the very first secession settlement of the country. The secession convention met in Charleston December 20, 1860 and seven southern states formed the Confederate States of America. With the Coming of the Civil War, Battery Gary along with an adjoining floating battery between Mount Pleasant and Sullivan’s Island were instrumental in protection of town, as well as strikes on Fort Sumter. Town was also defended by a line of fortifications in Elliot’s Creek at Boone Hall to Copahee Sound. Mount Pleasant was also the trick training ground for its nine-man team of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley. It was from Breach Inlet in 1864 that this small vessel was launched to attack and sink the Housitanic.
As a consequence of the Civil War, slaves who worked the area plantations were free to seek their own venture. Of special note is Scanlonville, certainly one among those earliest African communities to become formed in Charleston after the Civil War that still exists today at Mount Pleasant. Robert Scanlon, a former slave and freedman carpenter, purchased the 6-14 acre property called Remley’s Plantation bordering Charleston Harbor across the Wando River at Mount Pleasant. Robert Scanlon has been the president and founder of this Charleston Land Company, formed by 100 poor African-American men of Charleston who paid $10 per share to obtain large tracts of property in the region. The Charleston Land Company then divided it up for possession by freed slaves trying to have their very own land. Remley’s Plantation has been divided into farm town and lots lots (which were smaller) to make the community of Scanlonville. The Charleston Land Company and also Scanlonville are among those only four famous co operative ventures among African-American freedmen after the Civil War.
West of Scanlonville has been river-side, the greatest and earliest of five black beaches in Charleston County. Riverside”officially” opened in 1930 and included a dance pavilion, athletics field, bathhouse, playground and a board walk along the Wando River. Music performances at the Pavilion spawned Juke Joints, or night clubs, at Scanlonville and a hotel named White’s Paradise — at which James Brown was understood to have frequented. After the initial park owner died in 1975, surgeries of this Riverside land were absorbed by Charleston County who eventually sold into a business that developed it into a gated community.
In 1883 Charleston County was broken up and Mount Pleasant was set in Berkeley County and called the county chair. Six years later, it was decided that Moncks Corner would be the county chair along with Mount Pleasant because of its former borders in Charleston County.
Twenty years after the war, the Mount Pleasant had been populated by 783 residents. Four kilometers of street were laid with shells and also the town was understood as a pleasure and health resort for those replicas of Christ Church parish and folks of Charleston. Stores and dwellings rented for twenty and ten dollars a month. Truck farming has been a significant job and Mount Pleasant has been the site of a sawmill and brick mill. There have been nine stores, mostly possessed by taxpayers of origin. A steam ferry provided transportation between Charleston and the Village until the first Cooper River Bridge was built in 1929.
A paper article from 1889 reported,”The health of Mount Pleasant has been unprecedently fine for the past year. The city council spends about $2,000 on the streets and other necessary improvement, and also the money is really judiciously applied that Mount Pleasant, in regard to overall look, is one of those model towns of the country.”
Mount Pleasant has been stand as a model city, but not merely in South Carolina, but also in the nation.